However some sleep experts argue that it is not the quantity of sleep but the quality of sleep that is important. In other words it is important to have deep restorative (Delta) sleep as compared to the having more of disrupted or broken sleep.
Most people don't really understand the importance of getting enough sleep. As a result they deprive of themselves of enough sleep. Sleep deprivation results in :
- One feeling tired and fatigue throughout the day
- Reduces levels of focusing and concerntration
- Poor or loss of memory
- Sluggish thinking capability
- Reduces the body's immunity systems (measured by lower white blood cell count)
- Decreases the release of Growth hormone
- Disrupts the body's metabolism and hormone system
- Prone to mood swings and feeling depressed
For one when you enter deep sleep, the body secretes more Growth Hormone and other related hormones which function is to :
- increase and maintain bone density and muscle mass
- decrease body fat
- increase exercise capability
- promote healing of injuries and repair tissues
- Stimulate general body growth
- regulate one's metabolism
Simply meaning , these hormones work to maintain and repair the body to ensure it's functioning well and kept young. Hence why sleeps helps you to look younger.
In the same way the lack of sleep reduces the secretion of hormone leptin. The hormone leptin's job is to tell the brain "to stop eating, as the body has stored enough. Thus when there is less of leptin hormone, you tend to eat more resulting in increased weight. Lack of sleep also increases ghrelin - the 'go' hormone which makes you want to eat more.
There is also the tendency to think more about food when you are awake more. This makes you eat more. Lack of sleep also makes you feel too tired to exercise. Lack of exercise in turn makes it easier for you to gain weight.
In short, if you want to lose weight, look younger, feel happier and think faster, make sure you get enough of your beauty sleep. Depriving yourself of sleep is not only dangerous to your health but also to others, if you suddely fall asleep when you drive the car.
So till next time, sweet dreams.