" And thy Lord taught the bee to build its cells in hills, on trees and in (men's) habitations..... there issues from within their bodies a drink of varying colours, wherein is healing for mankind. Verily in this is a Sign for those who give thought'.
(Translation of Quran 16:68-69)
Some of the benefits of honey are :
- As an enegy booster - honey is a natural source of carbohydrates providing strength and energy to the body. It contains sugar such as fructose and glucose, simple sugars that our bodies can absorb directly.
- Honey improves the body's system of immunity as it contains a wide variety of nutrients that the body needs such as vitamins B, B1, B3, B5, B6, C , K and E and minerals like calcium, sodium, potassium, magnesium, sulpher and iron, zinc and amino acids. Of course the actual nutrients vary from the kinds of nectar the bees extracted, to make the honey from.
- Honey is a source of many ezymes that aids in the digestion process such as amulase, invertase, diastase , lipase and catalase enzymes.
- As a natural healing agent to treat open wounds and burns as it contains an enzyme called glucose oxidase that when combined with water produces hyrogen peroxide, a mild antiseptic. In addition to this the antioxidants and flavanoids in honey functions as antibacterial agents.
- Honey as a beauty treatment. Honey is a natural moisturizer, it is humectant, having the ability to attract and retain moisture and rebuild moisture level in the skin without making it oily. This is the reason why many anti aging skin care and hair treatment products uses honey in them as it has this property and is so gentle and suitable for sensitive skin and baby care products.
- Honey is a natural sweetener, hence it contains a variety of amino acids, vitamins and minerals essential to improve the body's metabolism therefore preventing obesity and promotes weight loss. In contrast to refined sugars which lacks minerals and vitamins.
- Honey as a health remedy for many ailments such as athritis pain, coughs, sore throat, cold, athsma, yeast infection and athelete's foot.
With this in mind, remember to always keep a pot of honey in your house. You never know when you might need it, the benefits of honey are many and its all combined in to one. Until then look great and be happy always.