Wrinkles are a by-product of the aging process. With age, skin cells divide more slowly, and the inner layer, called the dermis, begins to thin. The network of elastin (the protein which causes skin to stretch) and collagen fibers (the major structural proteins in the skin), which support the outer layer, loosen and unravel, causing depressions on the surface. With aging, skin also loses its elasticity, is less able to retain moisture, oil-secreting glands are less efficient and the skin is slower to heal. All of these contribute to the development of wrinkles.
And now you ask...How do I keep the wrinkles away. Well in truth, you can't really keep them away, but you can help reduce the appearance of them and slow down the visibility signs of aging. So what do you do to look younger? Here are some steps that would help your face look great and younger.
- Avoid smoking because smoking reduces the production of collagen and lack of new collagen results in development of wrinkles. Nicotine also deminish the blood and oxygen that flows to the skin.
- Take care of your skin by practising the regular daily cleansing, toning and moisturising the face both during the daytime and before you go to bed. Use moisturiser with SPF of at least 15. Try to use products that are all natural. Creams and lotions that contains alcohol and artifical ingredients may dry out your skin. If you have sensitive skin you can try using olive oil as a moisturiser.
- Drink lots of water to avoid dehydration, when the body dries out, it pulls away the moisture away from the skin.
- Eat a well balance diet and lots of fruit rich in antioxidants which combats wrinkles by reducing free radicals. Fruits high in Vitamin C helps build more collagen which keeps skin firm.
- Avoid excessive exposure to the sun as exposure to ultraviolet radiation (too much sun) can result in premature aging of skin.
- Don't forget to get your daily dose of exercise to help your body toned, your skin radiant , your stress level low and your mind sharp.